I paint, write, research, learn and teach art and art history. Often painting takes centre stage, but there are periods where the others push for attention as well. I studied art & architectural history (MA, PhD) in The Netherlands, where I was born (1974) and grew up. After my academic years I moved to the UK and turned to the easel. Art historic research and inspiration still fuels much of my studio work and writing today. My love of 17th century culture can be found easily in my paintings that often feature lace, ruffs or other motifs from that time.
My paintings (portraits, figures and still life) often feature fabrics from the past. They celebrate the beauty, wonders and humanity of our culture and ourselves, thereby creating interesting dynamics between the contemporary and the past. My works are realistic and atmospheric pieces, created in oils or pastel.
Writing about art, art history and my methods and inspiration provides a wonderful way to share the beauty that I find. Whether it is a Jacobean portrait or contemporary work in an exhibition; I love to show you how and why it speaks to me and share it on my blog.
I take on painting commissions (portraits, pets, textiles etc) with pleasure. My work is always created with professional and where possible archival materials only.
I am available as a freelance writer, just contact me to discuss your requirements.
For art teaching, please see my Workshops page.
For demonstrations or talks, please contact me to discuss.
- Harley Gallery, Worksop 2016
- Catto Gallery, London 2016
Selected Group Exhibitions
- Royal Society of Portrait Painters, Mall Galleries, London 2011, 2012, 2015, 2016
- Manchester Art Gallery, Artists in the Frame: Self Portraits by Van Dyck and Others, 2015
- BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, London 2013, 2014
- Pastel Society, Mall Galleries, London 2012, 2014, 2015
- Royal West of England Academy of Art RWA, Bristol 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
- Royal Institute of Oil Painters ROI, Mall Galleries, London 2011, 2015
- Society of Women Artists SWA, Mall Galleries London 2011, 2012, 2013, 2017
- Royal Birmingham Society of Artists RBSA, Portrait Prize Exhibition, 2013, 2017
- Royal Society of Miniature Painters, 2017
- Bath Portrait Prize, 2012
- Bath Society of Artists, 2017
- Blackheath Gallery, London, 2016
- Lime Tree Gallery, Bristol, 2014-2015
- Haynes Galleries, Nashville/Thomaston, USA, 2013 – 2016
- Principle Gallery Alexandria, USA, 2014
- Art Exposure Gallery, Glasgow 2013
BP Travel Award
In 2013 I won the BP Travel Award at the BP Portrait Award exhibition, which gave me the opportunity to research 17th century portraiture and the depiction of lace and fabrics in it. Inspired, I created 10 new paintings, a selection of which were exhibited within the BP Portrait Award 2014 Exhibition, which toured from the National Portrait Gallery in London, to the Scottish National Portrait Gallery in Edinburgh, Sunderland and Wales. For more info about this please see this page
- 2d Prize International Artist Magazine Still Life Competition, 2015
- BP Portrait Award: Travel Award, 2013
- Winsor & Newton Choice Award, Society of Women Artists, 2011
- Finalist Artist & Illustrator’s Self Portrait Competition, 2007
- Artists & Illustrators Magazine, 2007, 2008, 2012, 2016
- The Bark, 2017
- International Artist Magazine, 2015
- American Art Collector 2015
- 500 Portraits: 25 Years of BP Portrait Award, National Portrait Gallery, 2015
- The Lace Trail, publication by Sophie Ploeg to coincide with the BP Travel Award, 2014
- BP Portrait Award, exhibition catalogue, 2013, 2014
- The Jackdaw, 2014
- The Pastel Journal, 2014
- Pratique des Arts, 2012
- Ph.D Art & Architectural History, Vrije University Amsterdam, University of Groningen (Rhetorical Theory and English Baroque Architecture)
- MA Art & Architectural History, Vrije University Amsterdam