After a long break I got my pastels out again and did a small still life last week. Pastels are such a wonderful medium. Yes, they are messy, but I love how you can get such instant colour, and how you are painting and drawing at the same.
While painting I thought of some tips for you:
Ten Handy Pastel Painting Tips
1. Use all the sides of the pastel stick: the stump, the sides and the sharp edge and vary the mark making
2. Layer your marks for interesting textures. Mix your colours by layering
3. If you want to work in layers, choose a paper/board that has lots of tooth (texture) to hold the pastel. For drawings and sketches you can choose a more lightly textured paper
4. Work lightly so you can add many layers and depth
5. Choose your paper colour wisely, you might want to let it come through here and there
6. Keep your pastels stored in a dry and safe place. They are fragile and break easily. The original packaging often comes with foam inserts to keep them safe
7. You don't need hundreds of pastels: get a basic set and practice colour mixing
8. Do not blow at the pastel dust; nobody wants to breathe in dust particles
9. Work vertical, so that the pastel dust can drop down on your easel ledge
10. Always frame a pastel painting behind glass, with a space between art work and glass
Join the Mailing List !